As you may have seen, I have had a huge influx of Guest Posts being published on my blog and I wanted to a blog post rounding all of this up. I’ll be telling you what a guest post is (if you haven’t guessed already), my views and opinions on guest posts and the pros and cons for everyone involved. So lets get to it…
What is a Guest Post?
A guest post is simply a blog post/article written by a guest (not the primary writers of that site). So essentially the major difference is that instead of it getting posted on the writers site it gets posted elsewhere.
How they work?
If you were wanting to write one for someone else’s blog, it depends on the blogger and if they are accepting guest posts or if they even offer that. Reach out to them, explain why you’d want to guest post on their site and potentially give a brief idea of a post you’d like to write, or ask if they have anything in particular they want on their page. Most bloggers will only accept guest posts that align with their niche / topics they currently write about so it fits in with their audience, so aim for those sites that you have shared interests with.
If you were wanting someone to write one for you, promote that, share it on your social media platforms and within other blogger pages etc. Simply ask if anyone would be willing to guest post on your site, explain what you’re looking for and how to go about contacting you etc. If you have a specific person/group of people, don’t be afraid to drop them a DM asking (but remember they have their own lives too so might be busy enough or want something in return i.e. payment or a guest post from yourself).
Following on from that, another option is to swap posts with another blogger, so both write one. Obviously staying within each other’s niches but this is the best outcome you can get because you’re writing one for someone else but also getting one in return. It’s nice to see a variance in posts from different people too.
If you’d like to guest post on my site, don’t be afraid to drop me a DM or eMail me (find info over here), I’m always accepting guest posts.
What are the benefits?
For a blog host/site:
- You don’t personally have to write or create that post.
- You’re giving your readers something different, they will appreciate it.
- You’ll create connections with other bloggers/writers.
- Their post might inspire/educate you as well as your readers.
- You are bringing in a new audience to your blog from the writer’s site.
For the writer:
- You get your work noticed on another site (backlinks!)
- Opens you up to a new audience.
- Create connections with other bloggers/writers.
- More experience in working with others within the blogging community.
- Great for new bloggers as a first experience.
For the audience:
- New content to read from a different writer.
- Potential to discover more bloggers/writers similar to those you already read.
- If the site owner needs/wants a break or feels they don’t have any content, you’re not missing out.
What do I think?
I love being a part of them, whether that’s writing for other sites, receiving them for my site or collaborating with another blogger on one post. I love the sense of togetherness and working with other bloggers to bring my audience new and exciting content.
So to finalise, I hope you are all enjoying the influx of guest posts and are enjoying finding new bloggers to support too. I will still be posting a lot of my own content as it is my blog at the end of the day so keep your eyes peeled for more content coming asap!
Find all the Guest Posts on my site here.