This is a post I didn’t think I’d be writing. I knew I wanted to write a post for my birthday but had no idea of the type of post it would be. With being in lockdown for my birthday I was limited to how I would spend it, this did not restrict the smile that was plastered across my face for the whole day.
I turned 23 on Wednesday and because I am still in training for my degree so I’m currently on an online timetable meaning I spent 10am-4:30pm on Zoom learning choreography and doing technique class. However I did spend my evening calling my friends and family to celebrate and being spoilt rotten with the gifts I received. As my birthday was drawing to a close my flatmate had bought a disco light for us to have a flat party (yes, just the two of us, haha!) and we did just that.
When thinking of how to write this post I wanted a little more than just a round up of the ‘events’ of the day so I found a post on a blog called IntellectualDork with 10 Reflection Questions for your birthday, Perfect!
And here we go…
What/who changed you in the past year?
- Covid/Lockdown (the whole shabang!)
- My friends and family
- The books I have read
- The thoughts I have had
- The world’s reactions
What characteristics have changed?
- More focused – know what I want
- More driven to get there
- I make more time for myself
- Improved accepting my feelings
- Recognized my strengths and weakness more in depth
- I enjoy my own company more than I thought
- However, I am for sure an Extrovert
- I have a new found respect for myself and my choices/opinions
- Still as crazy and out-going as always 😉
Did you make new friends or strengthen your relationships?
- Strengthened ALL if not most of my current relationships (friends and family)
- Gained a few new ‘online’ friends whom I hope to meet in person once this craziness ends.
*personally being made to distance and stay indoors has proved to me that nothing – not even lockdown – will stop me from connecting in someway to my friends and family*
Which people have affected you most this year?
Now I don’t want to miss anyone out as a lot of people have made my year and for various reasons;
- My family – their strength and support throughout this year has been inspiring.
- My flatmate – we’ve bickered like an old married couple but would not have coped through lockdown without her.
- My friends – all of whom have been there for me without a seconds notice whenever I’ve needed them, making their friendship even more valuable.
There’s a lot of people I could name but I’ll keep it short.
Why have you asked for the gifts you have asked for this birthday?
I’m not one to share all my gifts I receive online but the majority of my gifts were things I either needed, wanted or really liked but would never buy myself (e.g. Clothes, Shoes…. Alarm Clock aha!)
Are you proud of the person you are becoming?
Short answer, Yes!
And if you’d have asked me a few years ago I would have had a hard time answering that, but here we are. I am excited to see what life throws at me next and how I overcome it. I am very proud of who I am and who I am becoming.
What new things have you done this year?
Some of these I’ve dabbled in in previous years but have had a heavy focus this year.
- Zoom classes (eugh!)
- Affirmations and LOA
- Self-Hosted Blog
- Started training to be a PT
- Online Dating
- Fallen back in love with reading
- Gone Plant-Based
What did you do that you were scared of at first?
- Committing to becoming a PT
- Taking my blog self-hosted
- Applied for and started various new jobs
Did you feel like a child this past year?
Yes, when do you stop feeling like a child? I will always need that hug from my mum and the motivational speech from my dad, I will never grow up. (I’ve decided after writing this post, I’m moving to Neverland)
What do you want to change next year?
This next year is already becoming a big one for me personally. A lot of changes, a lot of big decisions will be thrown my way but I cannot wait to see where they lead. I am not going to share everything here but I think you’ll get the jist from reading my 2021 goals blog post and any future posts that are coming 😉
And that’s it!
That’s my birthday blog post!
I do want to finish this off by saying how incredibly lucky and grateful I am to have such amazing people in my life and how fortunate I am to be where I am in life. I am forever eternally grateful. Here’s to the next year as a 23-year-old!
Thanks for reading,